Friday, November 7, 2008

What Nature Has to Teach Us by Tricia Baehr

I believe in synchronicity. The Divine has an orchestrated way of delivering to us exactly what we need when we need it.

Just the other day while driving along the interstate I saw a large bird with beautiful feathers on the side of the road. Something inside of me "knew" I should stop.
After safely pulling onto the shoulder and putting on my flashers. I hopped out and walked quickly to where I had seen the bird. It was a Bard Owl. He was so beautiful and unfortunately already dead. He just looked like he was sleeping. I had taken a couple grocery sacks with me and I scooped him up. I don't know if he was warm from the sun or if he had recently died. I had never seen an owl so close up. It was amazing how his body was shaped. The owl's legs and the feathers on his legs were large, almost like a rabbit's. The feathers looked more like fur.
I had to hold back my tears as the children and I drove back to our campsite, but somehow deep inside I knew this owl had come to me for a reason. Later that evening the children and I found a beautiful place in the middle of a triangle of trees. I made a circle in the dirt and drew a cross in the circle to represent the four directions and the four elements. We dug a hole in the center and carried the owl to the clearing in the woods. We prayed for Owl and asked that Owl's qualities be gifted to us. We wished him a safe and peaceful journey to the Other World and to be at peace as Owl traveled on his journey to God.

So... reflecting on Owl. I have learned what it is that Owl has to teach us: Owl is the mystery of silent wisdom, heightened vision and hearing and the ability to pinpoint subtleties of motives, actions and people. Owl teaches the power of silence and contemplation and the balance of waiting and acting. When action is taken it is swift and exacting. Owl teaches us the ability of extracting secrets within, so we must listen carefully. Owl aids in clearing deceptions, within and without. Owl has much wisdom on how to see and sense the world around you along with patience and determination in waiting for the opportune moment.

I can sense how these lessons are still to be absorbed into me from Owl and how all of them are needed at this particular point in our life. I ask to continue to receive these teachings from Owl and show appreciation and gratitude for the gifts.

Today the owner of our campground came by and asked if we wanted the feathers from his Egyptian Goose. Apparently someone had carelessly hit the goose with their vehicle and it was on the side of the road. Again, I felt as if this was another gift from the Universe. Synchronicity at it's best, working to serve and inspire us. Upon some research I discovered the Egyptian Geese native to Africa, were thought to be sacred by ancient Egyptians, domesticated them and used them frequently in their artwork. http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/geb.html

I also found through research of native peoples traditions and power animals that Goose has this to share: The questing call, travels, and imagination, communication, imagination stirred. Goose teaches us how to move along our spiritual path and the power and strength of community efforts. Goose aids in our finding happiness and joy.

I feel blessed by these creatures, their lessons and the purpose of them showing up in our lives at this time. I know we will prepare and plan a proper burial for our friend the Egyptian Goose whom my children had named, "Hatcher" prior to it's earthly demise. We will ask Goose to gift us with more travels, imagination, communication and movement along our spiritual paths. We will ask for the power and strength of our community on all levels, local to global as we ask Goose to aid all of us
-the entire world, animal, vegetable and mineral to assist us all in finding happiness and joy!

We bless their animal souls and thank them for their wisdom and lessons. And praise be to our Creator for allowing them to come to us in these ways!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience!

Carol Wingert said...

We recently found an Egyptian Goose that stay at one of our local parks in Connellsville, PA! Imagine our surprise when we found what he is! He eats bread from our hands, and I have several photos and videos of him. What a beautiful bird!

Carol Wingert
http://www.carolwingert.com